I initially intended to keep it "our secret" for several weeks at least... I'd seen too many pregnancies go wrong at work and didn't want to announce anything too soon. But we were having visitors for Thanksgiving just a few days later, which made things tricky because we didn't want to NOT tell them the entire weekend. So we decided we had to tell James's mom Sandy and my sister Colleen. Which we did, at our grace before dinner. Colleen had one of my favorite reactions... just crying and screaming and hugging us for at least 5 minutes straight!! :)
So these two were told the news and sworn to secrecy for 4 more weeks until we returned home to Barrington for Christmas... and they did it!
Then at Christmas we had a few more big reveals. On Christmas Eve with James's side of the family (including Grandma, Aunt Patty, and cousin Matthew in from Ohio) we presented our nephew George with a new onesie... which looked a little something like this:
Laura's face as she opened this gift was priceless!
Next reveal was at my parent's house on Christmas Eve. We had taken a picture during our first (informal) ultrasound and put it in a "Grandkids" frame along with pictures of Annette and John. Dad didn't get it at first... but once she realized what was in the frame Mom understood right away!
Opening the frame...
Amy: "Wait... is this for real?"
Next, we told my brother Scott's family on Christmas morning. Every year I make them a calendar with pictures of their family from the past year. I wrote in a big red Sharpie pen (thinking it would be so obvious) "Baby Kane Due" on the due date. They flipped right past it when they were looking through the calendar! So we had to redirect them to take a closer look at July :) They were thrilled that Annette and John would be getting a baby cousin!
Our final family reveal was at my Aunt Mary's house on Christmas Day with my extended family. Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been known as occasions for "big announcements" in our family... and during grace we made ours! So fun!
After Christmas was over and our families knew we were able to start to telling our close friends. And finally... the news broke on Facebook. I tried to keep it off of there for a while longer than when I actually announced it... but after daily pressure from my sisters to post and 3 separate ultrasounds that showed a little baby with a beating heart, I figured we were safe. I caved. And then after that this blog was born :)

No comments:
Post a Comment