Saturday, August 20, 2011

Jack is 2 Weeks Old!

Jack is 2 weeks old!  In a way, time has flown.  However it's also seemed like a long time.  Either way, we've certainly adjusted to and now love life with Jack.  I'm physically feeling a lot better since the birth, which makes taking care of a newborn much easier.  I'm breastfeeding Jack, which is a lot harder than I thought it would be!  I think I had a very idealistic view that since breastfeeding is the most natural thing to do it would be easy.  Not the case.  However Jack is a great little eater and I've finally gotten the hang of things too.  It's also very time consuming-- since he eats every 2-3 hours I feel like after I feed him, change him, soothe him, and maybe get in a meal/shower/quick nap it's time to do it all over again! Jack is a really good sleeper... during the day.  At night he's up every hour and a half to 2 hours on the dot and takes awhile to soothe back to sleep.  He's just very awake, not fussy.  We need to change this before I go back to work!

James has been a huge help, it's been really fun watching him become a dad.  He is a great one!  Unfortunately he's in the middle of a 14 day straight stretch of 10-15 hour days at work that started when Jack was 6 days old.  The brewpub where he is a manager is in charge of the Iowa Craft Beer tent at the Iowa State fair, so he's either been at the restaurant working or at the tent serving beer during all of those days-- typically working until 1 to 4am.  However, even after a long day he comes home and takes over Jack duty for 4-5 hours so I can get some rest.  I really appreciate it, I know he's as sleep deprived as me or more!   Also, James's mom arrived about a week ago and has been helping out around the house as well as with Jack.  So I have reinforcements :)

Today Jack had his 2 week doctor's appointment.  He weighed 7 lbs 13 oz, up from 7 lbs 6 oz birthweight and 7 lbs when he left the hospital.  He still measured 22 inches long... however I watched the nurse measure him and I think his leg was bent so I think he's a little longer :)

Here's some Jack pictures from a photoshoot in the backyard I had with him on his actual 2 week birthday.  He gets cuter every day!  Maybe there's even a little of me coming out?  Or is he still all James?









No comments:

Post a Comment