It's hard to believe, but it's time to say goodbye to Des Moines! It has been my home for 7 years, and James's home for the last 6 years. I came here 7 years ago a newly engaged college grad ready to start medical school, nervous and excited about all that was ahead of me. It was my intention to stay here for only 2 years, and then get back to Chicago as soon as possible for the rotation part of medical school and of course residency... and I ended up loving living here!
The first year was tough being long distance from James for the first time in our 5 year relationship all while planning a wedding. But after we got married in 2006 and he joined me out here, we really fell into a great groove. We met wonderful friends though my med school and James's work at Court Avenue Restaurant and Brewing Company. We explored the area and really fell in love with all Des Moines had to offer. My third year of medical school I did rotations at Broadlawns Medical Center, the county hospital in Des Moines, and knew I found where I wanted to go for residency. I loved the staff, the other residents, and the patient population. And luckily enough, I matched into the family practice program! So after I graduated medical school in 2009, we packed our bags and moved into the resident housing at Broadlawns!


Broadlawns is unique in that it provides housing for the residents in the program. While the housing isn't exactly brand new (our apartment was built in the 1950s), the resident apartments really help build a sense of community among the residents and their families. Plus, free rent, free utilities, and walking to work the last 3 years has really saved us some money! :) I'm sad to be leaving our Apartment #8! It is where we celebrated wedding anniversaries #3, 4, and 5, where we hosted holiday parties and wine nights, and where I took some pretty amazing naps after being up for 30+ hours at a time on call :) But most importantly, it is the first home we shared with our precious baby boy Jack.
 |
| Getting ready for Baby Kane! |
 |
| We literally walked Jack home from the hospital |
 |
| Jack's first days |
We will miss lots of people here in Des Moines too!
Jack's first daycare provider, Heidi, was simply amazing! She watched Jack and 2 other boys at our good friends and neighbor's apartment. We LOVE her and will be so sad to say goodbye! I know Jack will miss her too!
 |
| Jack and Heidi! |
 |
| Philip, Jack, and Caedon-- Heidi's daycare boys! |
James made some friends through work that I know are now lifelong friends of ours.
 |
| Meddy, Mike, Darren, and James-- some of the CABCo crew |
 |
| Jack, Sophie, Evie, and Teagan: CABCo kids (Teagan was not to thrilled about the picture) :) |
A special mention of Sara Newton, the wife of Chase who is in my class. We shared many nights of Grey's Anatomy, have eaten pans of brownies, and enjoyed wine nights together whenever one of us wasn't pregnant during our 3 years here (a rare moment!) :)
 |
| Chase and James at the Governor's Cup race |
 |
My residency class!
Chase, Josh, Cassie, Jason, me, Ed, Sarah, Dave |
I could go on and on about the people and places that have touched our lives in the last 7 years. But the moving truck has already been here.
And all our things are packed.
It's time to head off to our new life in Wisconsin. We love you Des Moines! Thanks for 7 wonderful years!
No comments:
Post a Comment