Sunday, August 26, 2012

Starting Our Routine

Well, our Summer of Fun 2012 has wrapped up!  James and I really enjoyed having a full 2 month break between finishing residency and starting my job.  I don't think James and I have ever spent that much time together!  (Maybe since the summer after senior year of high school? But even then we both had jobs!)  And having Jack around every day made everything more fun!

I started work two weeks ago.  The first week and a half was corporate orientation, meetings, and classes on how to use the electronic medical record.  But then I started seeing patients at the end of last week!  My nurse is great and am slowly learning my way around the clinic.  I think I made a great decision with this job, so far I like the fellow doctors, other staff, and patients a lot. They are starting me out slowly: one patient per hour.  I bet soon I'll go down to 40 minute appointments, and then 20 minute when I am ready.  The clinic manager has been very firm about not pushing me too fast, even though I don't need an hour to see one patient now it's nice to just start slow.  So far I've been able to go home for lunch every day-- one of the perks of living .8 miles away from my clinic!  I don't know if I'll keep that up once I get busier, but it's nice to get a break and see the boys during the day.

While I've been at work, James and Jack have been having a lot of quality daddy/son time!  James has been doing great as a stay at home dad so far.  He and Jack play a lot, and James gets chores done and runs errands.  He's really making life easy for me!  :)

The stay at home dad thing is only temporary though-- James found out last week that he was accepted to the University of Wisconsin: Oshkosh and will start his teaching classes in a few weeks!  Finally now that I am done with school/residency James has his turn to pursue his dream of teaching math.  We are so excited for him to start!  It will be about a 2 year journey with the student teaching included.  We found a daycare for Jack that we like, and Jack will go there a few days a week when James takes classes.  Last year we had in home daycare for Jack and this is a center, so it will be an adjustment.  However, the "classes" are really small, they serve all organic food, and it looks like Jack's day will be full of activities and playing with other kids.  We think he will really like it!

One of the perks of my job is only a 4 day work week!  And I also happened to get Mondays off!  (Somehow Mondays weren't already taken, lucky me!).  So we've had 3 day weekends to both get stuff done around the house and head out and have fun too.  Here are some of our activities the past few weeks!

We tried the Appleton Farmer's Market a few weeks ago, and LOVE it!  It's pretty big, but not too crowded.  We loved the big Des Moines Farmer's Market, but towards the end of our time there it was getting so popular that just walking down the street was a hassle.  Add a stroller for Jack and it was really hard to enjoy it.  This market is great.  Lots of farmer's stands and fresh made cheese!  :)  And I've already found my favorite stand-- fresh made crepes with chocolate and fruit inside.... yummy.  I even sneak Jack a few chocolate covered fruit pieces when James isn't looking ;)

Jack ready for the Appleton Farmer's Market

Appleton Farmer's Market

Swinging at the park by our house

Jack's birthday present: a red wagon! 
We also went to a Wisconsin Timer Rattlers game, which was a lot of fun!  This team is the single A baseball team for the Milwaukee Brewers.  The stadium is in Appleton, so it's very close.  James and I enjoyed some ballpark food and Jack liked watching the game and the entertainment in between innings.  We didn't make it to the fireworks after the game... maybe next year when Jack can stay up a little later!

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers game

No comments:

Post a Comment